One of the cheapest 2016 Gibsons, the SG Faded rolls in at a very reasonable £599. And you get a classic, stripped down Angus Young style SG for the money. The spec is enticing….
- 2016 rendition of the iconic SG model with faded finish
- Slim profile maple neck with 24 frets
- Rosewood fingerboard with pearloid dot positional inlays
- 490R and 490T humbucking pickups deliver exceptional tone
- Chrome tune-o-matic bridge and chrome tuners
- Independent tone and volume controls for each pickup
- 3-way pickup selection switching system
- Satin nickel Tune-o-Matic bridge for solid tuning and sustain
No hard case and I would prefer a Burstbucker to the 490 pickups. But £599? and just look at it!
2016 Gibson SG Standard
£999. For a US-made Gibson Standard. For £400 more than the faded you get…
- Tuners – Traditional tuners
- Neck width – Historic original 1 11/16″ neck width
- Nut – Graph Tech™ nut
- Period-correct knobs – Black Top Hat knobs with silver inserts
- Carrying case – Padded gigbag
- Inlays – Traditional trapezoid inlays
- Pickups – Versatile 490R and 498T humbuckers
- Fingerboard – Thicker rosewood fingerboard
- Setup – Comprehensive hand-finished setup
- Finish – High-gloss nitrocellulose finish
Now ask around, some suppliers may offer a hard case for the same money.
I’ll review these as soon as I have a chance, but in the meantime I’ll be going over the new Les Pauls, toodle pip!